Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Popular Middle Grade Books on Goodreads

This week I'm posting the first twenty-five books in the list of popular middle-grade books on Goodreads. They are ranked by the number of ratings they have attracted.

The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians series, #1) by Rick Riordan

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter series, #1) by J. K. Rowling

Wonder (hardcover) by R. J. Palacio

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Harry Potter series, #2)

When You Reach Me (hardcover) by Rebecca Stead

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter series, #3) by J. K. Rowling

The Graveyard Book (hardcover) by Neil Gaiman

A Wrinkle in Time (paperback) by Madeleine L'Engle

The Giver (The Giver Quartet series #1) by Lois Lowry

The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians series, #2) by Rick Riordan

Holes (Holes series, #1) by Louis Sachar

The One and Only Ivan (hardcover) by Katherine Applegate

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter series, #4) by J. K. rowling

Liesl & Po (hardcover) by Lauren Oliver

Coraline (paperback) by Neil Gaiman

The Invention of Hugo Cabret (hardcover) by Brian Selznick

The Titan's Curse (Percy Jackson and the Olympians series, #3) by Rick Riordan

Breadcrumbs (hardcover) by Anne Ursu

Liar & Spy (hardcover) by Rebecca Stead

Bridge to Terabithia (paperback) by Katherine Paterson

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter series, #7) by J. K. Rowling

Ella Enchanted (paperback) by Gail Carson Levin

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Harry Potter series, #5) by J. K. Rowling

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia series, #1) by C. S. Lewis

From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler (paperback) by E. L. Konigsburg

7 comments:

  1. Awesome list, Maggie. The choices were interesting. Mostly from traditional publishers and established writers. What does this tell the millions of those with small publishers, or those who are self published - including me?

    That people like to spend their book money on books from reliable publishers, and confident these choices will please their mid-graders?

    Or that these books were reviewed mostly by adults who know how to pick quality plots, characters, and writing?

    It is still a fascinating survey, and thanks for your time and research.

    Books for Kids - Manuscript Critiques
    http://www.margotfinke.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fascinating. It looks like the ratings are influenced by adult readers as there are so many older books on the list such as
    From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler and A Wrinkle in Time. There are also books here that are assigned reading in schools. That said, Harry Potter is still very popular with kids (in my experience) and the kids do love series books like Rick Riordan's. Still, this is quite interesting. Thanks for posting it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read that Goodreads readers tend to be young and in the lower income brackets. That could mean that they borrow many of their books from libraries and consequently, read books that were published long enough ago to now be on library shelves. I know from the experience of doing giveaways on Goodreads that members love the chance of a free book, but few of those hundreds of readers eager for a giveaway actually buy the book they didn't win in the giveaway. So income may dictate what they read.

    Margot, I'm thoroughly enjoying Taconi and Claude: Double Trouble. Will do a review on Goodreads and Amazon when I finish the book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of the 50, I have read 28, own about 10 of the 23 I haven't read and never heard of one of them. Of the ones I haven't read are all but the first by Riordan 'cause I couldn't stand that he copied J.K. Rowling's formula and applied it to mythology, and in my case, not all that well, but kids aren't as discerning and it's all so fantastical, they would like them.

    I've read the Harry Potter series 3 times (so far), though I've read Sorcerer's Stone a few more than that. I've enjoyed most that I've read and expect to enjoy the ones I haven't read. Nothing on the list surprises me, though. The books that are not new releases don't surprise me. There are classic favorites that will continue to pull in readers, typically by suggestion, I think, and if they are on reading lists having been picked by the teachers (?) Very interesting though. I didn't know Goodreads had these lists. I'm still getting used to the site :) Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am also a student some time i find stories relevant to subject but those writing not easily understand now i start study in your giving list every word i easily understand thanks for share it statement of purpose engineering .

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm Glad you find my website useful, Allen.

    ReplyDelete