Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Middle-Grade Bestsellers of 2012

And now something for parents, grandparents, and all children's book buyers . . .

Publisher’s Weekly recently published statistics on the bestselling children’s books of 2012. Not surprisingly, Suzanne Collins’s Hunger Games trilogy was top of the list with 27.7 million copies sold. For middle-graders, Rick Riordan’s and Jeff Kinney’s books are among the top sellers. Most of the top-selling ebooks are YA, which, again, may not be so surprising.

The following are the first twenty-one, hardcover, new, bestselling fiction books suitable for middle-grade readers. Many of these may also be suitable for upper elementary-school readers.

The Mark of Athena (Heroes of Olympus #3) by Rick Riordan

The Third Wheel (Diary of a Wimpy Kid) by Jeff Kinney

The Serpent’s Shadow (Kane Chronicles #3) by Rick Riordan

Tales from a Not-So-Graceful Ice Princess (Dork Diaries #4) by Rachel Renee Russell

Tales from a Not-So-Smart Miss Know-It-All (Dork Diaries #5) by Rachel Russell

Middle School: Get Me Out of Here! by James Patterson and Chris Tebbetts

“Who Could That Be at This Hour?” (All the Wrong Questions #1) by Lemony Snicket

Big Nat Goes for Broke by Lincoln Peirce

Justin Bieber: Just Getting Started by Justin Bieber

I Funny by James Patterson and Chris Grabenstein

A Perfect Time for Pandas (Magic Tree House #48) by Mary Pope Osborne

Lincoln’s Last Days by Bill O’Reilly and Dwight Jon Zimmerman

Nancy Clancy, Super Sleuth by Jane O’Connor

Nevermore: The Final Maximum Ride Adventure by James Patterson

Wonder by R. J. Palacio

Caught by Margaret Peterson Haddix

The Demigod Diaries (Heroes of Olympus) by Rick Riordan

Chomp by Carl Hiaasen

The Accused (Theodor Boone #3) by John Grisham

 Big Nate Fun Blaster by Lincoln Peirce
 
A Mutiny in Time (Infinity Ring #1) by James Dashner

10 comments:

  1. Why did Justin Bieber make the list?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Middle Grade Ninja, thank you for leaving a comment. Bieber's book made the list because 1) it's on the PW bestsellers list, and 2) Amazon rated it for ages 8 and up. I'm happy to remove it from my list if enough people think it's really for older children. So, that's something I'd welcome your comments on. Also, I especially welcome the views of parents, teachers, and others who regularly buy books for children. In fact, I'd like to have readers' lists of what they consider the best books of 2012. You can leave your comments here, or e-mail me at maggielyons66 at gmail dot com.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was recently nominated for a blog award and asked to nominate others. One of them was you! You can learn more at the link below.
    http://freckles-the-bunny-series.weebly.com/1/post/2013/07/a-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. An impressive list Maggie, thanks so much for sharing it with the Kid Lit Blog Hop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My daughter loves anything Rick Riordan. Wonder is a fantastic book. Justin Bieber is surprising but then, not really b/c many girls probably love reading that. - Just not my daughter.

    It is really strange to me to see Big Nate books and Rick Riordan books on the same list. They are two completely different animals. Interesting.

    Thanks for the list. I'm stopping by on the Kid Lit Blog Hop.


    ReplyDelete
  6. Jambo and Cool Mom, I'm glad you find this list helpful. The reason for both Big Nate and Rick Riordan books on this list is that they appeal to middle-grade readers (children ages 10 through 12/13), even though the books are very different from each other. Same goes for the Justin Bieber book on this list. I'm going to list more MG bestsellers from the Publishers Weekly Children Books statistics in an upcoming blog. I hope you come back to review that list too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Maggie. A great list. Margaret Peterson Haddix's books are fantastic reads especially for struggling MG readers. Glad to see it on the list. Thanks so much for joining the Kid Lit Blog Hop! Cheryl, Hop Hostess.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Cheryl, thank you for hopping over from the Mother Daughter Book Reviews Kig Lit Blog Hop.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really enjoyed looking at your list and I'm just shaking my head wondering how Justin Bieber can be on the same list as Wonder. I get it - in that, I know that the target audience will eat it up, but geez... really? I'm still staring at my unread copy of A Mutiny in Time - I really, really need to read that one! Thanks for linking in the Kid Lit Blog Hop. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Renee, I never cease to wonder at what becomes as bestseller!

    ReplyDelete