Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Award-Winning Middle-Grade Fiction—Part 1

My blog this week is for buyers of children’s books and writers who want to read books considered to be the best in children’s literature. The following are noteworthy works of children's fiction suitable for readers aged eight through twelve (middle-grade fiction).



Newbery Medal: Just about the best-known award for children’s books is the Newbery Medal, given each year by the Association for Library Service to Children: The Newbery Medal is awarded annually by the Association for Library Service to Children, a division of the American Library Association, to the author of the most distinguished contribution to American literature for children.”



For the complete list, including honors winners, go to the American Library Association John Newbery Medal page at http://www.ala.org/awardsgrants/awards/15/all_years.

Here is the list of Newbery Medal winners, suitable for upper elementary and middle-grade readers, for the past twenty years. 
2013: The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate
2012: Dead End in Norvelt by Jack Gantos
2011: Moon Over Manifest by Clare Vanderpool
2010: When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead
2009: The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
2008: Good Masters! Sweet Ladies! Voices from a Medieval Village by Laura Amy Schlitz
2007: The Higher Power of Lucky by Susan Patron
2006:  Criss Cross by Lynne Rae Perkins
2005: Kira-Kira by Cynthia Kadohata
2004: The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo
2003: Crispin: The Cross of Lead by Avi
2002: A Single Shard by Linda Sue Park
2001: A Year Down Yonder by Richard Peck
2000: Bud, Not Buddy by Christopher Paul Curtis
1999: Holes by Louis Sacher
1998: Wringer by Jerry Spinelli
1997: The View from Saturday by E. L. Konigsburg
1996: The Midwife’s Apprentice by Karen Cushman
1995: Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech
1994: The Giver by Lois Lowry
1993: Missing May by Cynthia Rylant


Booklist Editors’ Choice: An annual selection of fiction and nonfiction for children of all ages is made by the American Library Association for its Booklist Editors’ Choice award. Published lists cover  the years 2005 through 2011.

Fiction titles for grades 48, 2011:
Around the World by Matt Phelan (Gr. 4–7)
Brother Sun, Sister Moon by Katherine Paterson (Gr. 2–5)
The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente (Gr. 5–8)
Inside Out and Back Again by Thanhha Lai (Gr. 4–8)
Lost and Found by Shaun Tan (Gr. 5–12)
Mo Wren, Lost and Found by Tricia Springstubb (Gr. 4–6)
My Name Is Mina by David Almond (Gr. 4–7)
Never Forgotten by Patricia McKissack (Gr. 4–8)
No Ordinary Day by Deborah Ellis
The Silver Bowl by Diane Stanley (Gr. 5–8)
Sparrow Road by Sheila O’Connor (Gr. 5–8)
A Storm Called Katrina by Myron Uhlberg (Gr. 1–4)
The Wikkeling by Steven Arnston (Gr. 5–8)
Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick (Gr. 4–8)

The annotated lists can be found under the heading, Middle Readers, 2011 Selection, at:
http://www.ala.org/awardsgrants/booklist-editors-choice-books-youth?page=3

I'll continue these lists of children's fiction in my next blog with selections from the Association for Library Services to Children, the International Reading Association, and Children's Book Council. A future blog will list resources for award-winning titles in children's nonfiction. The lists will have their own page on this blog site. As usual, your comments and suggestions for other lists of award-winning and recommended middle-grade books are most welcome.

13 comments:

  1. I love this site. It's a convenient list of everything I might want to know:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great list. I'm looking forward to Part 2 now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't say I agree with all the Newbery winners of the past, but in recent years I've been in total agreement (just wish Okay for Now by Gary D. Schmidt had been recognized in 2012). Good post! I found you via the Hop, and I'm your newest follower. I hope you'll swing by and check out my site as well (http://howtoteachanovel.blogspot.com) and consider following.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keith, I enjoyed exploring your blog. You offer good advice, and I'm pleased to be able to add the views of an English teacher to my MG book bloggers list.

      Delete
  4. I agree with The One and Only Ivan winning. What a simple, poignant tale. The format was different too, which makes the book even more of a standout.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoyed exploring your website and blog, Juliana.

      Delete
  5. Stopping by as part of the Kid Lit Blog Hop. Great list there, thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I have The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate sitting on my side table RIGHT NOW! I nabbed it from the library the last time I was there. That pile is sooooo high right now! lol Thanks for linking into the Kid Lit Blog Hop once again Maggie! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Renee, thanks so much for putting together these wonderful blog hops. I have a lot of good sites to explore!

      Delete
  7. Hi, Maggie!
    I am stopping by while traveling the Kid Lit Blog Hop. I love your list and your site is terrific. Thank you for creating such a useful list and yes, I am also looking forward to part 2.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you find my lists useful. That's what I'm trying to be all about with this blog site. I welcome any suggestions you and other readers may have for blogs related to middle-grade literature.

      Delete
  8. Wonderful list! Thanks for linking into the Kid Lit Blog Hop! I love lists of books for my book club, so it's nice to have one for Max, too.

    ReplyDelete